Friday 1 July 2011

"5 things Friday" - 5 things I love about sewing!

  1. The fabric! I am a complete and utter fabricoholic and could spend hours browsing through hundreds of fabrics imagining all the things I could make. From delicate vintage florals to bold funky prints, smooth crisp cotton to snuggly cuddly minky, I just LOVE IT all!
  2. The possibilities. When I look at some fabric or a trim there's just something so special about that moment before you start creating when you know that anything is possible! This flat bit of fabric could be turned into anything from a dress to a bag. It really is quite a magical tingly feeling that then fades as soon as you make that first crucial cut!
  3. The feel of it. I don't know what it is but I just love the feel of using a sewing machine or overlocker. The feel of the foot pedal, the buzz as you go faster or slower, the snap of the foot going down, the click of the bobbin going in - yes I'm a teensy bit nuts!
  4. The pride. The pride when you look at a finished item and are happy with the results. The pride when someone complements something my daughters are wearing and being able to say "I made it"!
  5. The euphoria. When I hear back from a happy customer saying how much they love the order they've received and the complements they've had on their child's outfit I am nothing short of euphoric. I am hyper-critical of my work and constantly feel like I could do better, but for a wee while at least that disappears and I believe in myself just a little bit more.

Oh and one more actually! Another thing I love about sewing is other people who love sewing! I cannot tell you how lucky I feel to have met a group of other people who are completely on my wavelength and continually inspire and amuse me - thank you! x

Check back next Friday for another 5 things!

No comments:

Post a Comment