Wednesday 15 June 2011

It takes two baby!

So, seeing as I promised that this blog would be a mix of sewing, business and life, I thought I'd do a wee post about life with two in tow!

Ever since being told at my first early scan at 8 weeks pregnant "here's the heart beating away...and here's another one!" [cue jaw dropping and some naughty sweary words], being a mum of twins has become a huge part of my identity, so I guess it would be remiss of me not to talk about it!



After getting over the initial shock and then a period of several weeks where we were told that our babies were a very rare type of identical twin at risk of not surviving pregnancy, (thankfully our consultant discovered that this was not the case about half-way through), we have always been absolutely delighted to have our twin girls Ivy and Lily and we still can't believe how lucky we are or that they are here at all - twins happen to other people don't they?! 


A question I get asked on a regular basis is: how do you do it?


I think that most people imagine that twins are double the work (if only I had a pound for every time I hear "double trouble" when out and about!), but honestly, they aren't!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to say it's easy - the first few months especially are just a blur of 2-hr long feeding sessions, nappies, exhaustion - but the joy of having two wonderful little people far outweighs any negatives

Ever since they first started giggling at each other at only a few months old, they have been thick as thieves.  Now they are on the brink of toddlerdom, they are (mostly!) happy to play their day away together, which luckily for me allows me to get on with sewing at one end of the room, while they potter about at the other.  

I try to always find time each day to sit and cuddle and read stories and sing songs - Lily especially is very musical already and loves singing - Ivy is more of a dancer!  But generally, they are very independent wee souls and have far too much fun entertaining each other to need me to keep them occupied!  

I do have a lot of guilt though that I could spend more quality time with them if I didn't have my business, but I'm hoping that as soon as I am able to go full time in Two for Tea, I'll have more time to set aside for my wonderful girls instead of cramming in as much work as I can in the 3 days I have at home during the week.

Anyway, this post is getting rather lengthy now - I did say that I have verbal diarrhoea!  So maybe, I'll answer the other questions I often get asked about twins in another post!  I'll leave you for now though with a (slightly adapted) poem I have seen several times over the last year or two but that still never fails to bring a tear to my eye!
There's two to wash, there's two to dry,
there's two who argue, there's two who cry.
One's in the mud, having a ball the other holds a crayon, another marked wall.
Some days seem endless, my patience grows thin.
Why was I chosen to be a mother of twins?
The answer comes clear at the end of each day, as I tuck them in bed and I contentedly say...
There's two to kiss, there's two to hug; and best of all, there are two to love.

4 comments:

  1. this is a lovely post Hannah! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 16 month ID girls so know exactly what you mean, one minute i'm cursing the destruction they are causing the next i'm cuddling them so tight and never want to let go thinking how lucky I am to have 2 such amazing little girls :-) X Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Debi - my girls are just a month younger than yours! I see you have 8 daughters as well! You must be very busy but happy! xxx

    ReplyDelete